Wednesday, June 27, 2007

INSEAD event in Chicago - follow up

So I ended up going to this event in Chicago for prospective INSEAD students that was held by Goldman Sachs at their building downtown. At first I felt kind of awkward, since I've already been admitted and this even was targetted at prospective students, but then I thought about it and decided to sacrifice my Friday night since I thought it would be a good opportunity to meet alumni and to start networking.

It was a good event, which was filled to capacity with prospective students. Talking to students it seemed to be a mixed bunch from all around the midwest. Some candidates even came from St. Louis (5 hours away), and Milwaulkee (2 hours away), just to attend the event. The INSEAD did a great job in selling the school as a top 10 school that has excellent diversity, and which opens doors to you in non-traditional markets in various different countries. This is important, since it something the US schools simply cannot do, since they do not have the diversity and are mainly targetting US recruiters. Also they were very good at selling the school as a fun school to attend, where not only do you get a great education, but you also come away with a lot more. The alumni seemed to have genuinely loved their INSEAD experience,and all pointed it to being their best year of their life to that date.

I met some alumni and they pointed out the days will be long, and there will be a lot of work, but the profs do understand that networking is important and they fully expect and understand that you'll be working on the beach in Thailand trying to finish up an assignment on a weekend. That was good to hear. Also the sense of community for INSEAD alumni is great perhaps than that of other alumni. INSEAD alumni are more likely to hang out, meet each other up for weddings, parties from all around the world. Most other schools use their alumni network in a more formal context. The INSEAD alumni network is a way to meet people in a new city to just hang out with etc...

Also interesting to note the group of prospective students was very diverse as well, and well accomplished. I have a sense of the demographic that INSEAD appeals to, and it seems to be bright forward thinking individuals from around the world that are interested in not only a good education but also a good life experience.

All this has me very excited to start soon and be part of this great alumni network soon.

4 comments:

Youssef said...

Hi there from Sunny Toronto,

I enjoy reading your blog and I wanted to let you know that I have started a blog about my INSEAD application process:

I have recently been shortlisted for interviews (round 2, 2008 january intake).

Please find my blog link below:

http://nomad-insead.blogspot.com/

Later and thanks again for all the info.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I am joining Insead's July 08 batch as well. Lets connect!

SS
Chicago

bluey said...

welcome to Spore then :) hope u'll have fun at Spore INSEAD campus !
waiting for my interview invitation. the outcome will be available latest by next Friday... hope will get admitted soon and am already planning to take intensive language class :)

petite_parisienne said...

Hello, I'm trying to connect with some INSEAD alums in St.Louis, as I will be there for a few months on a project. I'm a J06 graduate. Any ideas?

Xobni outlook add-in for your inbox